Sunday 8 April 2012

Long distance Loving

Years ago in my first attempt at Internet dating I got chatting to a Guy who lived over 3 hours drive away from me. I'd had a long distance relationship previously but that was slightly different as he came from my local area and happened to be away at Uni "up North". So I knew he would be home weekends etc. So when I first chatted to this northern lad I was honest and said its too far to travel. I had a job and a daughter to work round so long weekends away would involve a military style operation. He told me he was a long distance driver so didn't see it as being a major problem. We did eventually hook up- half way between our homes in Peterborough ( still an hour and half away from home) and met up on a fair few occasions when both our work schedules and child free evenings allowed. ( I will admit I wasn't the most sensible person the first time I met him. If I heard anyone else say they were driving that far to meet a stranger at a hotel Id call them crazy and did they realise they could end up front page bad news ! But I was lucky and I did tell at least 2 people where I was going, gave all his details to them and checked in with them every few hours.)

But as with all these things the reality hits and you realise its impossible to pop round to see them for a coffee, or have a cosy impromptu night in with a dvd as you have to always plan ahead.
So now I have a rule- the distance has to be less than 45 minutes apart- although I'm thinking nearer half an hour is better. Not only do I have a teenage daughter to plan my social life around, I also have the dog (although she is supposed to be my daughters responsibility!). The logistics of a date become a nightmare if someone lives further away from me than work (a 45 minute drive) and I sometimes find myself staying over at my mums house with her dog sitting just to save myself some petrol from not having to drive all the way home again. In fact in the last week I did just that. Met a lovely guy for a drink but after a few days thinking about it we both admitted its too far to travel. You end up spending your life in your car driving back and forwards and it takes the spark and enjoyment out of dating.
Don't get me wrong, long distance can work. But you have to be trusting of each other and both prepared to put the miles in (and spend more money on petrol than on your night out!). The biggest issue for me with the distance is that I live somewhat out in the sticks! So the first 15 minutes of my 45 minute radius is full of empty fields or the cold sea!  I'm kind of pushing myself out of the market and cutting down my potential search area!
But then if I met the right guy he wouldn't mind the drive to see me, with the prospect of lovely country walks together and watching the boats from the pub garden. Its just judging it right I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment